Welcome

Landen has been (and is) such a priceless and eternal blessing to our family since his arrival. As you can tell, he's absolutely adorable and happy. We simply can't get enough of him!
As of August of 2013 we added another addition to our family, Brigit Nicole. She is missing part of her 3rd chromosome. We are still learning every day new things about her disability. We have a total of 4 kids and couldn't be happier!



The purpose of our site is to reach out to others who have Angels with Spina Bifida (or other special needs) for a supportive bond.

Please feel free to contact us @ ronandtosh@comporium.net



Friday, October 5, 2012

Invasive or Less Invasive?

LET'S GO WITH LESS INVASIVE!!

Tuesday was a VERY long day! We had a head CT/ shunt series in Greenville first. I HATE CT's! Usually Dr Troup orders them with sedation but this time he didn't. (Sorry  Radiology nurses... I warned you!!!) I told you from the start that he was going to throw up...twice.... you'd have to restart the CT 2 times and I'd end up laying on top of him and holding his head down! So...what happened? Threw up twice, restarted the CT twice and I ended up laying on top of him for the procedure! Good thing I know my son and took an extra pair of clothes. Left GMH, went to Troup's office. (neuro) CT looked great, shunt working and draining like it should! So what now? He throws up twice a day...power vomits. I buy new car seats like they are going out of style and I spend more money cleaning my carpets in the van than I'd like to.

Dr Troup suggested :  It could still be his shunt. He has a type of shunt that drains constantly and SLOW. It could be building up pressure and not draining quickly enough so he could go in and change the valve to a different type. (require surgery)

Admit Landen to the hospital..put in a "bolt with a pressure gage on top" and try to INDUCE vomit. This will tell him at what pressure he starts to throw up...adjust his shunt with the information he gathers from that. (require admission and surgery)

Refer him to a GI in Greenville (since Levine's GI Dr's aren't good either) and run tests to see if he is digesting his food "normally" (require more scans and throwing up and tantrums, more hatred for Dr's, and depending on the results....surgery)

Or... he's aspirating and that's what we will deal with the rest of his life....or he is having migraines which can cause him to throw up..he does tell me his head hurts and slaps the back of his head....At this point, I don't know what's going on but we CHOSE the LESS INVASIVE...GI appt in Greenville and go from there! (Apology in advance to the nurses and GI Doc we will be seeing soon! My son HATES Dr's and nurses of ALL kinds... no matter how funny you are and no matter what kind of sticker you offer him! Just saying!!!!)

A few picture updates...

Landen LOVES his backpack and thinks he is going to school...until I told him I couldn't go with him! He quickly changed his tune on the whole school thing! =)

Yesterday he said, "mom, walk, backpack, school, c'mon"  Which meant he wanted in his walker...with the backpack on, and I was going to school with him! He walked towards the door and said "c,mom mom!" I told him I couldn't go to school with him that schools don't allow mommies to come with them. He started to cry and said "me, home" =)





















No comments:

Post a Comment