Welcome

Landen has been (and is) such a priceless and eternal blessing to our family since his arrival. As you can tell, he's absolutely adorable and happy. We simply can't get enough of him!
As of August of 2013 we added another addition to our family, Brigit Nicole. She is missing part of her 3rd chromosome. We are still learning every day new things about her disability. We have a total of 4 kids and couldn't be happier!



The purpose of our site is to reach out to others who have Angels with Spina Bifida (or other special needs) for a supportive bond.

Please feel free to contact us @ ronandtosh@comporium.net



Monday, May 23, 2011

REALITY CHECK AND NO SYMPATHY HERE!!!

This weekend was great! It was a laid back weekend with no obligations to be anywhere! We now have had 2 Sundays in a row where we can just come home after church, put our jammies on and watch tv, nap, eat, whatever we want to do and I LOVE IT!
Landen is getting so much better at army crawling and if you turn your head for just a second, there is no telling where he might be or what he might be getting in to. Recently he has become infactuated with pulling everything off the fireplace, he likes plug ins, and pulling lamp wires.(yeah, not safe)I guess it's time to baby proof some things!!
It's obvious that Landen is different than most babies. He doesn't crawl like a "normal" baby would, he isn't pulling up and walking like most 13 mos old, he doesn't eat ANY food other than baby cereal and stage 2 pears/peaches, he can't drink from a sippy cup, still drinks formula with added "Thick It"(so he doesn't choke), he will never use the bathroom like most children BUT... he is very smart in other ways. It has NEVER bothered me that Landen is different, I've never felt a tad bit sorry for him, and I've never felt even a little depressed or sad because he doesn't do what other children do his age. My son is different and he's wonderful, smart, so flippin' handsome, happy, determined, strong etc. But yesterday I had a sad moment where I wanted to cry but composed myself b/c I have NEVER felt sorry for him for any reason. Like I said, he is army crawling beautifully and when he wants something or he has his sights on something, he's going for it...even If I say  "No No". Well yesterday he wanted to crawl into his bubbas room (he loves his bubba)Let me back up a tad bit. When Landen army crawls, he uses his left leg to help him but his right leg doesn't move at all and it just draggs behind him. =(  (that is the sad part...tears)This isn't something that is new, we knew his right leg didn't work and he has no feeling from his bottom down)BUT.... as he was crawling, his Right leg got caught in a toy and he was dragging the toy behind him. He had no clue his foot was stuck in the toy. He had no clue he was dragging behind a toy. At that moment while watching him, a feeling of sadness came over me and my husband said "oh, that is so sad" which made it worse b/c I was on the verge of tears but...me being the strong person said "Oh, that's ok" and sorta laughed it off. My thoughts quickly forwarded to pre school and children picking at him b/c he is different or something similar happening to him while in school and children making fun of him. Then of course I started thinking "Home School" because NOBODY better make fun of my baby!( The whole momma bear kicked in) Anyways, this morning while working, I read this Flyer about Tim. Tim is/was a member of the Y and faithfully came to the gym. In Dec 2010, he was working in his yard, cutting away some branches off of a tree while standing on a ladder. The branch flung back and knocked him off the ladder. Long story short he broke his neck, his heart failed and needed a pace maker, he had 2 strokes due to swelling in the brain and he is now paralyzed from his neck down and uses his head, yes his head to operate his wheelchair. He is still up beat and happy. After I read that, and became a little emotional I thought to myself...and you were sad that Landen was dragging a toy with his Right foot that doesn't work???? What's your problem? So, I am thankful that Landen can move around in his own little way. We WILL overcome obstacles like this every day and I can only hope and pray that Landen will have the attitude that Tim does and he will never feel sorry for himself because he is different than others.



It's funny how my "almost" 13 mos old teaches me lots of things. Some days he teaches me patience, other days it may be determination but I think most days(as he gets older) he will teach me to accept whatever challenge he may be going through, and to be strong. Shouldn't I be teaching him that? 

A letter to my sweet boy~

Dear Landen,
It's so hard for me to narrow down all the little things I love about you. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to list them all. Every "New" stage that you go through is my favorite, I love how you are fascinated by everything (like the spoons and spatulas I cook with or the pots and pans)I love when you accomplish new things, I love how you call for dadda but reach out for me, I love when you like to snuggle and just be rocked, I love how you search out for my necklace when you are tired and want to hold on to something, Oh how I love that you are a momma's boy...atleast for now...and I'm going to soak each and every minute of that up, I love most when no matter who is in the room, you search for me to make sure I am still there! I love how busy busy you have become and can't stay still. I love how you look at me and speak your own language. I love just who you are and wouldn't change anything for the world. You are my entire life and I love you with all of my heart and more! You are the sweetest thing since sliced bread. =)  I can't get enough of you. You make my heart melt, my rainy days shine, and my heart skip a beat every time you love on me. When I rock you to sleep at night, after you have fallen fast asleep (and you start snoring..so cute by the way) I just look at you and wonder how on earth me and your daddy got so lucky? There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God for you. You are my sunshine!!! ( This is his bedtime song that I sing to him every single night) I love you I love you I love you infinity.


Love always and forever...Your Mommy

                     I'm not a tree hugger, just a basketball post hugger.
                        He's smelling a stick before he puts it in his mouth
                  He's giving his little bear lots of love.


 

1 comment:

  1. What a great post!
    When Nick started army crawling he just dragged his whole body. Now he is starting to brings his knees up (at 18 months), so just because he's not doing it now, doesn't mean it won't come. Just in Landen time!
    What a beautiful letter.
    I found some days you feel sad and lousy and they are usually followed by realization about how lucky and happy our kids are, and make us!

    ReplyDelete